Budget Process Law Annotated (1993)
Congressional Budget and Impoundment Control Act of 1974
analysis by congressional budget office
Sec. 403.698 (a) The Director of the Congressional Budget Office shall, to the extent practicable, prepare for each bill or resolution of a public character reported by any committee of the House of Representatives or the Senate (except the Committee on Appropriations of each House), and submit to such committee—
(1) an estimate of the costs which would be incurred in carrying out such bill or resolution in the fiscal year in [p. 264] which it is to become effective and in each of the 4 fiscal years following such fiscal year, together with the basis for each such estimate;
(2)699 an estimate of the cost which would be incurred by State and local governments in carrying out or complying with any significant bill or resolution in the fiscal year in which it is to become effective and in each of the four fiscal years following such fiscal year, together with the basis for each such estimate;
(3) a comparison of the estimates of costs described in paragraphs (1)700 and (2),701 with any available estimates of costs made by such committee or by any Federal agency; and
(4)702 a description of each method for establishing a Federal financial commitment contained in such bill or resolution.
The estimates, comparison, and description703 so submitted shall be included in the report accompanying such bill or resolution if timely submitted to such committee before such report is filed.
698. Section 403 is codified as amended at 2 U.S.C. § 653 (1988).
699. The State and Local Cost Estimate Act of 1981 added paragraph (2). Pub. L. 97-108, § 2(a)(3), 95 Stat. 1510 (1981).
700. See supra p. 263.
701. See supra p.264.
702. 213(a) of the Balanced Budget and Emergency Deficit Control Act of 1985 added paragraph (4). See infra p. 417.
703. Section 213(b) of Balanced Budget and Emergency Deficit Control Act of 1985 added descriptions to this list. See infra p. 417.
(b)704 For purposes of subsection (a)(2),705 the term “local government” has the same meaning as in section 103706 of the Intergovernmental Cooperation Act of 1968.
704. The State and Local Cost Estimate Act of 1981 added subsections (b) and (c). Pub. L No. 97-108,5#2(a)(7), 95 Stat. 1510 (1981).
705. See supra p. 264.
706. Section 103 of the Intergovernmental Cooperation Act of 1968 is codified, as amended, at 31 U.S.C. 56501 (1988 & Supp. MI 1991), which states (in relevant part): (6) local government’ means a unit of general local government, a school district, or other special district established under State law. 31 U.S.C. 16501(6) (1988).
(c)707 For purposes of subsection (a)(2),708 the term “significant bill or resolution” is defined as any bill or resolution which in the Judgment of the Director of the Congressional Budget Office is likely to result in an annual cost to State and local governments of $200,000,000 or more, or is likely to have exceptional fiscal consequences for a geographic region or a particular level of government.
707. The State and Local Cost Estimate Act of 1981 added subsections (b) and (c). Pub. L. 97-108, § 2(a)(7), 95 Stat. 1510 (1981).
708. See supra p. 264.
[End of page 265]
Sec. 402 (BPLA)
Sec. 404 (BPLA)