SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE; TABLE OF CONTENTS.
(a) Short Title.—This Act may be cited as the “Budget Control Act of 2011”.
(b) Table of Contents.—The table of contents for this Act is as follows:
TITLE I—TEN-YEAR DISCRETIONARY CAPS WITH SEQUESTER
TITLE II—VOTE ON THE BALANCED BUDGET AMENDMENT
TITLE III—DEBT CEILING DISAPPROVAL PROCESS
TITLE IV—JOINT SELECT COMMITTEE ON DEFICIT REDUCTION
* * * * * * * *
The Budget Control Act of 2011 (BCA) began as a measure unrelated to the budget process, introduced as S. 365. It had no short title, but a long title as an Act “To make a technical amendment to the Education Sciences Reform Act of 2002.” It was subsequently amended to replace that bill with the negotiated agreement taking the form of the BCA. No committee reported it as the “Budget Control Act of 2011” and no formal report was written for it. See its Legislative Action for further detail as to its consideration and enactment.
Omission of Title V of the BCA
Title V has been omitted since it applies only to policy changes related to the Pell Grant Program. See Title V of the BCA 2011 the statutory text. See pages 34-36 from CRS Report 41965 for a summary of the title.
- Budget Control Act of 2011 (Annotated)
- CRS – The Budget Control Act of 2011: Legislative Changes to the Law and Their Budgetary Effects (R43411) September 2015
- CRS – Budget Control Act of 2011 (R419651) August 19, 2011
- Senate Budget Bulletin 2A, November 2011
- Senate Budget Bulletin 2B, November 2011
- Analysis of Budget Control Act of 2011 (Peterson Foundation)
Legislative History Notes
Pub. L. 112-25, §1, August 2, 2011, 125 Stat. 240 (Budget Control Act of 2011).