TITLE I—TEN-YEAR DISCRETIONARY CAPS WITH SEQUESTER
Section 250(c) of the Balanced Budget and Emergency Deficit Control Act of 1985 is amended as follows:
(1) Strike paragraph (4) and insert the following new paragraph:
‘‘(4)(A) The term ‘nonsecurity category’ means all discretionary appropriations not included in the security category defined in subparagraph (B).
‘‘(B) The term ‘security category’ includes discretionary appropriations associated with agency budgets for the Department of Defense, the Department of Homeland Security, the Department of Veterans Affairs, the National Nuclear Security Administration, the intelligence community management account (95–0401–0–1–054), and all budget accounts in budget function 150 (international affairs).
‘‘(C) The term ‘discretionary category’ includes all discretionary appropriations.’’.
(2) In paragraph (8)(C), strike ‘‘the food stamp program’’ and insert ‘‘the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program’’.
(3) Strike paragraph (14) and insert the following new paragraph:
‘‘(14) The term ‘outyear’ means a fiscal year one or more years after the budget year.’’.
(4) At the end, add the following new paragraphs: ‘‘(20) The term ‘emergency’ means a situation that—
‘‘(A) requires new budget authority and outlays (or new budget authority and the outlays flowing therefrom) for the prevention or mitigation of, or response to, loss of life or property, or a threat to national security; and
‘‘(B) is unanticipated.
‘‘(21) The term ‘unanticipated’ means that the underlying situation is—
‘‘(A) sudden, which means quickly coming into being or not building up over time;
‘‘(B) urgent, which means a pressing and compelling need requiring immediate action;
‘‘(C) unforeseen, which means not predicted or anticipated as an emerging need; and
‘‘(D) temporary, which means not of a permanent duration.’’.
Classification to the U.S. Code
- Budget Control Act of 2011 (Annotated)
- CRS – The Budget Control Act of 2011: Legislative Changes to the Law and Their Budgetary Effects (R43411) September 2015
- CRS – Budget Control Act of 2011 (R419651) August 19, 2011
- Senate Budget Bulletin 2A, November 2011
- Senate Budget Bulletin 2B, November 2011
- Analysis of Budget Control Act of 2011 (Peterson Foundation)
Legislative History Notes
Pub. L. 112–25, §306, 125 Stat. 245. (Budget Control Act of 2011)